If you cannot provide professional references, provide twice as many personal references.
2. Personal references can be from anyone who knows you, but has never worked with you in a professional environment. Examples of personal references include friends, classmates, teammates, coaches, and teachers.
How old can job references be?
A common question among job seekers is whether or not they can ask references from previous jobs that are more than five to seven years old.
2. As a general rule, the answer is that references should not be more than five to seven years old.
“What do I do if I don’t have 2 references?”
Seek out an academic contact or close character reference outside of a professional setting.
2. This can be a teacher with whom you shared a good relationship or a sports coach.
Can I use a family member as a reference?
Choose personal references who have known you for at least one year, think positively of you, are able to communicate well, and are available on short notice.
2. Avoid listing family members or your spouse as personal references, as they might be perceived as biased.
Do references matter anymore?
The people who write your endorsements on LinkedIn matter, even if they may not matter as much as they used to. Make sure that the endorsements are from people who can vouch for your skills and experience.
2. Endorsements from people who know you can help strengthen your social proof and make you more attractive to potential employers.
3. Make sure to ask people who you know will write positive endorsements for you on LinkedIn.
I Leon Thompson am a Human Resources Expert. I have worked in the field for over 15 years, and during that time I have gained invaluable experience and knowledge.
I am also a CV expert and Resume Expert, so I know what employers are looking for when they review applications. This gives me an advantage when helping clients to create resumes and CVs that will stand out from the crowd.