Don’t waffle or say you want to study something just because it’s interesting. Explain what you find interesting about it. It’s much better to engage us with something interesting, relevant, specific and current in your opening line. Start with what’s inspiring you now, not what inspired you when you were six.
How do you write a strong personal statement?
Read the instructions carefully. This will ensure that you understand what the admissions committee is looking for in your personal statement.
2. Focus on yourself. This is your opportunity to share your story and demonstrate why you are a good fit for the program.
3. Demonstrate your genuine interest and enthusiasm. The admissions committee wants to see that you are excited about the program and that you would be a valuable asset to the community.
4. Start early. This will give you time to brainstorm, write, and edit your personal statement.
5. Explain any discrepancies in your application in your personal statement. This is your chance to provide context for any grades or test scores that may be lower than you would like.
6. Review good sentence and paragraph structure. This will ensure that your personal statement is well-organized and easy to read.
7. Use the active voice. This will make your personal statement more engaging and easier to understand.
What phrases to avoid in a personal statement?
Here are some words you should remove if they feature in your personal statement:
Passionate. Possibly the most overused word when it comes to personal statements. Team player. You’re a team player and can also work well individually? Watching TV. Extensive. Also. Jokes and puns. Expert. Overly long words.
How do you avoid I in a personal statement?
It can be helpful to use the third-person or “it” constructions to replace personal pronouns like “You” and “I”.
2. Doing so can reduce the word count of your essay and make it shorter and more precise.
3. For example, instead of writing “I conclude that”, you could write “it could be concluded that”.
How long should a personal statement be on a CV?
In terms of length, a CV personal profile should be no longer than 150 words.
2. Aim for a few short sentences, four or five should do the job.
3. If you’re struggling with what to write, break your personal statement down into three parts.
I Leon Thompson am a Human Resources Expert. I have worked in the field for over 15 years, and during that time I have gained invaluable experience and knowledge.
I am also a CV expert and Resume Expert, so I know what employers are looking for when they review applications. This gives me an advantage when helping clients to create resumes and CVs that will stand out from the crowd.