The first is to leave this section blank or list it as “self-employed.”
2. This helps you prevent the bias you might face if you say directly that you’re unemployed.
“What is it called when you don’t get a job?”
2. Without a job; unemployed.
3. Lacking paid work; unemployed.
“How do you write a CV if you haven’t worked for years?”
At the start of your CV, write a small paragraph explaining why you’ve been away.
2. Keep positive by highlighting what skills and experience you’ve picked up during this time and emphasise why this could be relevant to the role you’re applying for.
How do I get a job after a long career break?
Assess your situation.
2. Plan for the return.
3. Hone your skills.
4. Update CV and cover letter.
6. Interview preparation.
7. References and certificates.
8. Search by keyword.
How do you explain a 10 year employment gap?
The best way to explain such an employment gap is to write down the exact period you were off, titling it as a “planned career break.” Underneath, you can include one or two sentences on why you took it (e.g. took three years off work to care for my growing children, who are now in elementary school).
2. It’s also a good idea to include any relevant skills or experience you gained during your break. For example, if you took care of your children full-time, you can highlight the organizational and multitasking skills you developed.
I Leon Thompson am a Human Resources Expert. I have worked in the field for over 15 years, and during that time I have gained invaluable experience and knowledge.
I am also a CV expert and Resume Expert, so I know what employers are looking for when they review applications. This gives me an advantage when helping clients to create resumes and CVs that will stand out from the crowd.